After a hiatus during which he tended to his day job (not being able to subsist on avenging and thin air alone), the Academic Avenger is back with a special Labor Day edition. Labor Day is observed on May 1 pretty much everywhere but the United States (not that there’s anything wrong with that…) to celebrate the fight of workers around the world for dignity, fair pay, and reasonable and safe working conditions.
Here are the inspiration and/or sources for this edition:
- Sarah Kendzior’s must-read article on fast food workers, “The Minimum Wage Worker Strikes Back”
- a report by the American Association of University Professors (AAUP), “The Employment Status of Instructional Staff Members in Higher Education” (PDF)
- a report by Democratic staff of the U.S. House Committee on Education and the Workforce, “The Just-In-Time Professor” (PDF)
- a report by the UC Berkeley Labor Center, “Fast Food, Poverty Wages: The Public Cost of Low-Wage Jobs in the Fast-Food Industry”
- a blog post by Rebecca Schuman about somebody who claims that the fact that she writes about issues in academia means that she does not care about low-wage workers outside of academia
Academic Avenger by http://academicavenger.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.